As part of ESN’s work programme co-financed by the European Commission, we have launched a working group on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The aim of this Group is to support progress on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) focused on social inclusion.
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by the United Nations Summit in 2015, is a broad and universal policy agenda with 17 SDGs whose objective is to guide the Member States to transform their approach to achieve inclusive, people-centred and sustainable development that leaves no one behind.
The aims of the working group are the following:
- To develop mutual learning and practice exchange for public social services regarding the implementation of the SDGs related to social inclusion.
- To analyse effective ways for social services to become key stakeholders in the implementation of the relevant SDGs such as: End poverty in all its forms everywhere (SDG1), ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages (SDG3), promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all (SDG8), and reduce inequality within and among countries (SDG10).
- To contribute to key European and international initiatives regarding the achievement of the SDGs.
The working group will run between 2018 and 2021.
- The first meeting of this working group focussed on the implementation of the SDG 1: Ending Poverty. Eradicating all forms of poverty is at the core of sustainable development. Poverty encompasses deprivation in many domains, including income, hunger, poor health, social exclusion, discrimination and lack of access to basic services.
- The second meeting focused on how social services contribute to SDG 3 – ensure healthy lives and wellbeing, with discussions addressing the provision of good quality long-term care.
- The third meeting will focus on SDG11: The role of city’s social services in the development of local inclusion and sustainability strategies
ESN Policy Briefing 'Implementing the Sustainable Development Agenda: The Role of Social Services'